Monday, August 4, 2014

Monday... with lots of Dahlias

After a really great trip away in Cornwall, I was also pleased to get back home to my garden here in Brighton...
Everything seems to have grown massively so the next few days will involve a lot of cutting back.

When I was in Cornwall this time, I popped in to Tremenheere Sculpture Gardens again to buy some more succulents and have a cup of tea.

Dahlias were everywhere, and I love dahlias, much to the chagrin of my mother...
When I turned 30 she asked me what I’d like for my birthday and I said 30 different dahlias...she refused, saying that they were too vulgar!! 
When I was in hospital giving birth to my son, I took a picture of a dahlia, stuck it to the wall and stared at it over many long, difficult hours...and when I was 8 years old we had to paint them at school; I’d never seen them before and was captivated.
So dahlias have always been on the edges of my life, but only this year have I managed to produce more than one flower of my own!
I hadn’t anticipated that completely amazing dahlias would be on every table in the cafe...

...and when I bought a bunch, the woman told me that they were from the National Dahlia Collection just down the road!
I was so excited as I’d never realised that it was so close.
When we got there it was deserted, but I definitely managed to indulge my dahlia love...





















There were a few signs of human life, but to be honest it was great to have the place to myself and not feel inhibited with my dahlia frenzy...
When we got back I arranged my bunch, but as we were leaving the next day, I had to take them with me, even though I was stopping off in Warwickshire overnight...

So the dahlias travelled 6 hours in the car, were briefly revived in one of my sister-in-law’s vases overnight, and then had another 3 hours in the car before they landed on The Table in Brighton.
A little worse for wear but still alive, I put them into a vase, picked one of my own from the garden, arranged the not so lucky heads of a couple that had wilted beyond repair...and made a cup of tea!

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I can't get enough of your IG feed or your blog. You are so gifted. I always wanted to ask you which camera do you use. Ah, and have you ever thought of publishing a book? Keep the beauty flowing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I’m so chuffed you enjoy both of them so much. I shoot with my iphone ( although I do have a big camera, but which doesn’t come out very often! ) I use the IG filters as well as VSCO cam and Afterlight apps to edit...and I would definitely consider publishing a book at some stage...always so much beauty around to capture :)

      Delete