Friday, June 27, 2014

Friday... with leaves

There’s something about the shape of a leaf which has a natural flow...flowers are like some big explosion and yet the leaf is their steady undercurrent...

Although I adore flowers I never ignore the leaves and always closely look at them...

I’m not sure if the lacecap hydrangea should have these reddish leaves at the moment or whether it's a sign of something amiss, but I think they’re rather beautiful whatever the cause and I’m always partial to a pop of red!

So this morning I collected a bunch of green...


...and started to arrange my flow of leaves
...using 16 different types of plants for the arrangement including hollyhock, honeysuckle, field scabious and hydrangea...
...but my favourite was the alchemilla mollis leaf which once on the table was calling out to be the centre point...
...although the best thing about the alchemilla leaves was missing from the arrangement which is the way they hold drops of rain or dew...
...so I spritzed everything which brought a new dimension to the composition!
But I felt it was possibly all lacking a bit of context and maybe looking a bit too rigid, which is why I decided to include the books, bramble petals and forget-me-nots, just to break it up a bit...

These arrangements always take a little time, as I allow myself to get sucked into ridicolous detail and tiny fiddling, so I always have at least one other cup of tea on the go amidst the off stage mess and plant wannebe’s that don’t quite make it into the final cut!



2 comments: